History of 220 Federal Street
John D. Pierce was the original owner of the property--he was a farmer and in 1878 sold the land to William S. Clark the owner of a stove and hardware business located in 68 Main St. in the American Block which burned down on 3/7/1893. He was married to Lenora (Thompson)(Hosmer) Clark who was a well known musician and they had this elegant home built by mail order plans from an architectural firm in 1888. The house was originally called The Woodleigh Villa. Also occupied by daughter Ada Lenora(Hosmer) Lancaster a music teacher and widow of Thomas J. from 1904 until 1944. In 1919 Jacob Schick who owned and operated the Ford Agency located at 47-49 Federal St. and his wife Isabelle occupied 220 Federal St. with Ada Lancaster. Then after Mrs. Lancaster death the Schicks adopted a type of boarding home for a few residents until Mrs. Schick sold to the Bulmans in 1948. The Bulmans owned and operated as a funeral home from 1948 until 1952 when purchased by Henry & Irene Kostanski and they established Kostanski Funeral Home.
The Kostanski Funeral Home is now owned and operated by Michael H. Kostanski, William R. Kostanski and Karen Larabee.